Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Oh, What a Night


Tim and Tom had a ball at Gibsons Steakhouse, which once housed the great Chicago nightclub Mr. Kelly’s where they performed in the 70s, as they formally celebrated the publication of the book Monday night.

Did we say formally? Not exactly.

“I didn’t know Tom knew how to write,” Dennis Farina, the one-time Chicago cop and long-time friend who went on to a formidable career in the movies and on television, told the crowd of more than 100. “On the other hand, I don’t know how to read. I understand there are a lot of pictures in the book. And all these years, I thought Tom was the black guy."

Tim and Tom howled with laughter and Tom grabbed the mike, but just at that moment he had to give it up to a higher authority.

“This is an American story,” Chicago mayor Richard M. Daley told the gathering of Tim’s and Tom’s story. “It’s important to tell it to future generations. And comedy is so important in bringing people together.”

Tim and Tom were delighted that the mayor came, and that he stayed for quite some time chatting with members of the audience and enjoying the festivities, but they were equally delighted to see so many old friends, including two members of the Bears’ only Super Bowl champions, Tim Wrightman and Tom Thayer.

Tim and Tom got into the spirit of the occasion, too, as some of Chicago’s top journalists and a couple of television crews looked on.

“Tim came on board to write this book because he thinks he might make some money,” Tom said, ribbing his old pal and partner.

“The saddest part of this whole thing is that if they make a movie of the book, I’m too old to play me,” Tim said to gales of laughter.

“How about getting together again and going on the road?” somebody called up from the crowd.
“Oh, no,” Tom said. “I’m not splitting that check again.”

The evening was not without its commercial aspects as more than 120 books were sold, making it a clean sweep for the day. Earlier, at a Union League Club of Chicago luncheon, they sold out of the supply of books on hand and had to autographs slips to be pasted into books that would be give to customers at a later date.

All in all, it was a great kickoff to the month-long publicity tour they have embarked on, one that will see them give close to a score of interviews and make many appearances during their week in the town where it all began for them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this must be a Harvey white boy convention! I saw both of you at Lowell School in Harvey. You lit (but did not smoke) marijuana in the Gym so the parents knew what it smelled like. Even though I am now 50, it still sticks in my mind.

I am kicking myself because I was just talking about you guys to my wife, but was to stupid to Google you a week ago. I could have seen you in Naperville!

I am going to sign up now so when you come back for the crosstown world series I can catch you both and get a copy of the book autographed.

I am still working in Harvey and still a south sider. I have loved seeing Tim on TV throughout the years and Tom, I am an old Ascension attender and have experienced the wrath of the nuns.

Best to both of you and the book.

Go Cubs & Sox

Joe Keefner